Monday, August 17, 2015

08-17 Broughton on the Aylesbury Arm

Sunday 16th August: Not a very good nights sleep, mainly due to ducks drilling down both sides of the boat (feeding on the weed attached to the hull) and also due to revelers returning to the Travel Lodge hotel and their voices making a lot of noise echoing across the basin.  Had a slow start to the day and waited for Waitrose
to open at 11am (never moored so close to a main entrance).  Ronnie Barker was waiting as well!  A generally sunny and warm day with cloudy spells. Once shopping complete and while Bridie was busy trying to stow the provisions I turned PO and moored on the water point to top up before setting off back up the arm.  Only went up three locks and past Circus Field basin before finding a suitable mooring above bridge 14 with no road noise, no railway and only limited Sunday walkers and cyclists.  Had lunch and chilled out on the towpath until some grey cloud took over and the temperature dropped about 6pm.

Monday 17th August:  Another sunny morning after a good nights sleep with only minor air traffic to mar the peace.  We stayed put and caught up with some boat cleaning and dog trimming today.  I washed  down the starboard side and then repainted the black band under the gunwales, finishing the tin and finding that the last tin I bought was not black but a very dark blue (I really must stop going out and buying stuff without my glasses on - last week I locked the pin on my credit card - not because I could not remember it but because I misread the card machine three times in a row because I hadn't got my glasses with me!).  I also polished about half the length of the starboard side.  The weather was not exactly summer as the cloud built up during the afternoon and it became decidedly cool.  Quite a surprise to see three hot air balloons passing by during the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment